I’m sure you’ve heard it said many times, that buying a home is one of the biggest investments a person will make in their lifetime. You first want to be sure you find the right realtor, who is looking out for your best interest and not just a fast commission check.
After you have been pre-approved, here are a few things to consider when looking for your first home as well as a realtor:
1. Find an agent who is a Realtor; which means they are a member of their local board of Realtors and it also means they subscribe to a high standard of ethics.
2. Make sure the Realtor really listens to your wants and needs and explains the home buying process to you before they take you out looking at homes.
3. Ask the Realtor if they are familiar with Down Payment Assistance Programs for First Time Home Buyers, and if so, ask them to explain how the program can benefit you.
4. Ask your Realtor if they are part-time or full-time. Depending on your work schedule it may matter to you; if you work nights, and the Realtor you are considering has a full-time day job.
5. Ask your Realtor if they work with a “TEAM” of other Realtors. It’s good to know they have a backup in case they go out-of-town or have an emergency.
If you happen to find a good realtor before you are pre-approved; ask your realtor for 3 mortgage lender referrals, and then keep these “5 Common First-Time Home buyer Mistakes in mind:”
1. They don’t ask enough questions of their lender and end up missing out on the best deal.
2. They don’t act quickly enough to make a decision and someone else buys the house.
3. They don’t find the right agent who’s willing to help them through the home buying process.
4. They don’t do enough to make their offer look appealing to a seller.
5. They don’t think about resale before they buy. The average first-time buyer only stays in a home for four years.
For more information on what you should know before buying your first home, give EXIT Empower Realty a call. Our agents have been in the real estate business for over 50 years combined, and we service the Reynoldsburg Ohio area as well as all counties in and around Columbus Ohio and Franklin counties.
Visit our website at www.achieversre.com or call us at 614-861-3948
For a FREE No-obligation Home Buying Session call us at 866-861-3948 X700